Sunday, August 16, 2009

Coincidence?

Call the doctor...for me that is. Well, not really. This morning at about 6:30 a.m. as I was half-awake, I heard my cell phone ring in the distance. I hurried to the phone, assuming it was Jack or Chris perhaps calling, as I had missed two calls from them yesterday. There was no notation on the now silent phone when I finally got to it. I decided to dial them in the event they were leaving a voicemessage. The past day or two there had been several missed calls on my cellphone with no accompanying message. In the back of my mind was lurking the usual half-preoccupation with my sons' safety. Out in the wilderness a lot can happen.
To my utter amazement Jack picked up the phone and was also shocked that there was phone reception from his campsite. He had not even tried to call just then! Well the good news is everything is alright and still on target. Blessed Coincidence. They are staying near a beautiful pond somewhere in Maine. They are starting day 87 heading toward Rangely Maine. Jack said that they plan to hit every remaining AT town in Maine....Rangely, Stratton, Caratunk, and Monson. Their standard fare has been several hamburgers, fries and a 1/2 gallon of strawberry cheesecake ice cream each.

Jack wanted to also note a few more interesting points: They have not seen any moose yet, but their droppings and tracks are everywhere. Jack thought he may have heard one in a nearby pond last night. He reported that a world-famous adventurist happened to stay with them at last night's shelter. You can google him under the name Ray Jardine, quite a remarkable adventure resume on his website. Jack also shared that people in Maine have been extremely friendly and generous. They have automatically gotten transportation to and from the small towns along the AT. I asked about the relative difficulty of the trail. Jack reported that Bigelow Mountain, about 45 miles north, should mark the end of major difficulties along this section of Maine...except for the last five miles up Mount Katahdin. They currently face the Saddebacks, Sugarloaf and the Crockers before reaching Bigelow Mountain. He said they were in much better shape than back in Georgia so things have been easier to manage overall.

As they have only 13 days left to hike this will be among the final reports until Katahdin. I am grateful for the Coincidence I received from the airwaves to get in touch with my sons. It was a blessing for a pondering mind.

Happened upon a great webpage as to recommended 18 miles per day average for a 120-day hike with all kinds of detailed information if you are interested in making such a hike:

http://appalachianpages.com/index.php?pageid=18 mile plan

No comments:

Post a Comment